Thursday, June 17, 2010

Travels In the Western World


And I’m back . . . in India! Couldn’t have asked for a better six weeks of travels filled with everything I’ve been missing. Starting with London for my dear sister’s university graduation, seeing family, two trips to the countryside for a ten-year overdue visit to family friends, and catching up and reliving Thai memories with Nick and Vicky. Next was Iceland where Catherine and I viewed the still erupting volcano from the plane and crossed through customs to get to the better food court during our layover. I don’t care if I didn’t leave the airport, my passport says I’ve been to Iceland!

I barely touched down in Seattle before Miles and I hopped in my beloved Callie and headed on a road trip with the first stop in San Francisco. Celebrated Drea’s long awaited graduation with her, caught up with Elisabeth, Steve, and Evan, wandered the city for a day, then started the longer trip north. Were welcomed by Gina Marie and Tom to their “humble abode” in the beautiful hills a few hours north of SF. We checked out the olive grove, cooked a delicious dinner, sipped wine and enjoyed the company, and capped the stay with a hike up Jeremy Peak. Then, on to the 101 with its beautiful sea views and stunningly tall redwoods. With a lot of persistence and more than a little luck, we found a trail down to an absolutely deserted beach in Northern California where we set up camp for the night. Last stop was to see Jeremiah and Caroline and explore their beautiful Portland neighborhood.

Back in Seattle for a few days, I spent time in Pike Place visiting old haunts and friends and then quickly got on the road again. This time headed to Emma’s house on Lopez Island for the annual weekend of reunion and revelry with high school friends now scattered across the country. One more week in Seattle that flew by far too fast, a weekend reunion in New York, this time with college friends, and it was time to hop a flight back to the other side of the world. Thank you to all friends and family for making this much-needed holiday so amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment